Step 1: Know when to replace the lamp
Watch for these telltale signs that your Optoma Theme Scene H55 projector lamp is approaching its end of life:
- the Lamp LED flashing orange
- picture has poor colour quality
- image vibrancy and definition has deteriorated
- a warning message appears on screen: “Lamp has reached it’s end of life. Please replace as soon as possible!”
When you see any of these signs, especially the warning message, change the lamp immediately. Avoid the temptation to left the projector run longer as it can result in a complete shut down of the Optoma ThemeScene H55 projector.
Step 2: Be prepared with the correct lamp
Your Optoma Theme Scene H55 uses the Optoma BL-FU200A (SP.83601.001C) lamp. It can be confusing trying to find the correct lamp since there are so many choices. It’s easy to get duped into buying an inferior knock-off lamp posing as an authentic one. Always look for the seal of approval and watch for telltale signs you are about to purchase a counterfeit lamp:
- low price that seems too good to be true.
- labelling that looks amateurish
- Mismatched elements, glue on the edges.
- Bulb that is scratched inside its cage
Why avoid generic lamps? Buyer beware! You get want you pay for and with generic “compatible” lamps that usually means a host of problems that can leave you with a damaged Optoma ThemeScene H55 projector.
6 reasons to avoid generic lamps:
- generics have inferior parts so are prone or overheat and explode
- generics have a short life and don’t last longer than a few months
- Often these lamps use toxic chemicals as substitutes
- generic’s can’t be calibrated properly and will damage your projector’s optics
- copycat manufacturers offer no guarantee or refunds
- the warranty on your Optoma ThemeScene H55 projector will become void.
Buy this lamp on Amazon from the following authorized dealers:
Step 3: Installing the Optoma BL-FU200A lamp
Follow these important safety tips before changing the lamp:
- Switch off the power to the projector by pressing the Power/Standby button.
- After waiting 30 seconds, disconnect the power cord.
- Allow the projector to cool down for at least 30 minutes. If should be cool to the touch. These projectors run using high temperatures and you can burn yourself badly if you don’t allow the projector to cool down.
1. Use a screwdriver to loosen the two screws holding the lamp cover in place. Make sure you have followed the safety tips before taking the cover off.
2. Remove the lamp cover and place to one side. Don’t lose the screws to the cover as the Theme Scene H55 projector will not turn back on until the lamp cover has been properly installed.
3. Remove all three screws holding the Optoma BL-FU200A (SP.83601.001C) lamp in place.
- NOTE: The Optoma BL-FU200A (SP.83601.001C) lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle this lamp.
4. Lift the wire handle and gently remove it from the projector. Be careful not to hit the lamp or you can cause it to break. Learn what to do if the lamp is broken inside the projector.
- Take the new Optoma BL-FU200A (SP.83601.001C) lamp out of its packaging and lift the handle on the lamp. Gently place it into the projector making sure not to touch the actual bulb. Oil from fingerprint marks can burn black spots onto the lamp when it heats up.
- Tighten the screws on the lamp.
- Close the lid. Tighten the cover screws.
- You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Reset the Optoma Theme Scene H55 lamp timer
Your Optoma Theme Scene H55 comes equipped with an automatic lamp timer that tracks the number of hours left for the Optoma BL-FU200A (SP.83601.001C) lamp. Each time you change the lamp you need to reset the lamp timer. Failure to do so may cause the projector to use the lamp over the recommended period of time resulting in the lamp exploding.
- Press the Menu button to open the On-Screen-Data (OSD) menu.
- Press the right/left arrow button to move to the Management menu.
- Press the right/left arrow button button to move down to Lamp Reset.
- Press the right arrow or Enter button to enter Status menu.
- Press the up/down arrow button to move down to Lamp Hour Reset.
- Press the right arrow or Enter button to select Reset option.
- Press the down button, then up button, then left button, then right button.
- The Status menu appears again showing the Lamp Hours reset to zero.