Step 1: Know when to replace
You can expect up to 4000 hours from the BenQ MP720C projector lamp before you need to replace it. Watch for these warning signs:
- The picture looks faded on screen.
- The Lamp Indicator blinks red.
- Warning Messages about the lamp appear on screen.
Your BenQ MP720C uses the projector lamp. When it needs to be replaced warning messages will appear on the BenQ MP720C projector screen. The Lamp indicator will also will light red letting you know if time to replace the BenQ CS.5JJ1K.001 projector lamp.
When it’s time to replace the BenQ CS.5JJ1K.001 projector lamp you’ll see a series warnings appear on screen.
First message: Total (equivalent) lamp hour has reached 3000 hours. Install a new lamp for optimal performance.
Second message: Total (equivalent) lamp hour has reached 3950 hour. A new lamp should be fitted to avoid the inconvenience when the projector runs out of lamp time.
Third message: Total (equivalent) lamp hour has reached 4000 hours. This message will flash in the center of the screen for about 30 seconds together with the Lamp indicator lighting up red for 40 seconds
Final message: If this warning message displays, the projector will shut down in 40 seconds. The lamp MUST be replaced before the projector will operate normally.
Replace the BenQ CS.5JJ1K.001 projector lamp immediately.
Step 2: Buy authentic!
Buying an authentic BenQ CS.5JJ1K.001 projector lamp will guarantee the best lamp to keep your BenQ MP720C projector working properly OEM lamps are far superior to generic lamps currently sold at discount prices on the Internet. At first glance generic compatible lamps seem like an incredible bargain. But when you factor in their shorter life spans and poor illumination along with other problems, these lamps actually end up costing more in the long run. These are NOT authentic lamps and should be avoided for the following reasons:
- shorter lamp life than original lamps
- toxic materials and carcinogenic parts including Krypton-85
- prone to explosions
- incompatibility causing damage to the sensitive electronics in your projectors
- no guarantee or refunds – you’re on your own to get a refund from the company when you buy from non-authorized dealers.
Find this lamp on Amazon from these authorized dealers:
- BenQ CS.5JJ1K.001 Projector Housing with Genuine Original Osram P-VIP Bulb
- BenQ Original CS.5JJ1K.001 Projector Lamp
Step 3: Installing a new BenQ CS.5JJ1K.001 projector lamp
- Reduce the risk of electrical shock by disconnecting the power cord on the MP720 projector.
- Reduce the risk of severe burns by allowing the projector to cool for at least 45 minutes.
- The lamp cover is found on the bottom of the projector. Gently turn the projector over onto a soft surface Using a screwdriver, loosen the screw holding the BenQ MP720C lamp cover in place.
- Remove the lamp cover and place it to one side.
- Loosen the screw on the BenQ CS.5JJ1K.001 projector lamp.
- Use the side indentations to slowly pull the lamp out of the projector. Pulling out too quickly may cause the bulb to break. If this happens go to: What to do when your projector lamp explodes.
NOTE: The BenQ CS.5JJ1K.001 projector lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
- Gently lower the new BenQ CS.5JJ1K.001 projector lamp into the slot making sure to line up the two holes properly. Tighten the screw on the BenQ CS.5JJ1K.001 projector lamp.
- Connect the lamp connector to the projector.
- Place the lamp cords back to the slots.
- Tighten the lamp screw.
- Replace the lamp cover on the BenQ MP720 projector
Reset the lamp timer
It’s important to only reset the lamp timer when the BenQ CS.5JJ1K.001 projector lamp has been replaced. Resetting the lamp timer without changing the BenQ CS.5JJ1K.001 projector lamp can severely damage your BenQ MP720C projector.
- Press and hold the Exit button on the projector for 5 seconds to display the total used
- lamp time.
- Press Auto on the projector or on the remote control to reset the lamp hour to “0”.
- Wait about 5 seconds to let the OSD disappear.
Do not reset if the lamp is not new or replaced as this could cause damage.
Extending the life of the BenQ MP720C projector lamp:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Use the Lamp Power option on the BenQ MP720C and set to Economic Mode to reduce the amount of power used but extend lamp life.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.