How to replace the Epson EMP-821p projector lamp
When it’s time to replace the Epson PowerLite 821p projector lamp follow this guide.
Be ready with the correct lamp
You’ll want to keep your Epson PowerLite 821p working at its best levels. Genuine OEM Epson ELPLP30 lamps are properly calibrated to work with the highly sophisticated optics in your projector. Using a proper Epson ELPLP30 in your Epson PowerLite 821p will guarantee a longer life for the projector.
Generic lamps may appear like an incredible bargain due to their price tag. But when you factor in all the problems they cause, generic lamps actually cost more in the long run. Here’s a list of their associated problems:
- prone to explosions because of their inferior workmanship
- don’t last the full 3000 hours
- health hazard due to the toxic materials used
- not calibrated properly and will damage the optics
- copycat manufacturers offer no guarantee or refunds
- the warranty on your Epson PowerLite 821p projector will become void.
Protect your health and keep your Epson PowerLite 821p working at optimal levels. Do you Learn the know how to spot a counterfeit lamp?
When to replace the Epson ELPLP30
You can expect between 2000 to 3000 hours of Epson ELPLP30 lamp life with your Epson PowerLite 821p. If the Epson PowerLite 821p projector’s Brightness Mode is set to low, you can expect up to 3000 hours. If the Epson PowerLite 821p projector’s Brightness Mode is set to high the lamp will last up to 2000 hours. The replacement warnings will be triggered at 2000 hours.
Watch for the warning signs that the Epson ELPLP30 is approaching end of life and needs to be replaced:
- the message “Replace the Lamp” appears on screen when the projector is turned on.
- the lamp light on the Epson PowerLite 821p begins to flashing orange red.
- the picture gets darker and continues to deteriorate
When you see any of these signs, get prepared to change the Epson ELPLP30 lamp.
Step 3: Installing the Epson ELPLP30
You’ll need to these preparatory steps before installing the new Epson ELPLP30 in the Epson PowerLite 821p projector:
- press the off power button twice to power down the projector.
- after you hear two beeps, unplug the power cord.
- give the projector one full hour to cool. The Epson PowerLite 821p operates on high heat and you will burn yourself if the projector has not cooled down.
Using the screwdriver provided, loosen the screw holding the Epson PowerLite 821p lamp cover in place.
Once the lamp cover screw has been loosened, slide the cover off the Epson PowerLite 821p projector. Place it to one side of safe keeping.
Using the screw driver provided, loosen both screws holding the Epson ELPLP30 screws in place. They will not come out of the lamp altogether.
Grab the handle on the Epson ELPLP30 and gently pull the lamp up. Pulling too quickly can break the glass bulb. Learn what to do should the bulb shatter.
NOTE: Make sure to properly recycle the Epson ELPLP30 lamp. It can’t be thrown into regular garbage since it contains mercury. Your authorized manufacturer will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost.
Remove the packaging from the new Epson ELPLP30 lamp being sure not to touch the glass bulb. Your fingerprints can leave oil marks on the glass causing black spots to appear on screen when the projector heats up.
Line up the Epson ELPLP30 lamp and gently lower it into the PowerLite 821p projector.
Line up the lamp cover and slide it back onto the projector. Tighten the screw on the lamp cover. You’re now ready to reset the lamp operating timer.
Resetting the Lamp Operating Timer
The Lamp Operating Timer determines when the Epson ELPLP30 lamp is reaching its 2000 hours end of life. Only reset this option when you have installed a new lamp otherwise you run the risk of using an older lamp past its recommended usage. This can cause the old lamp to explode.
To reset the Lamp Operating Timer:
- Plug the power cord back into the projector
- Press the on button and wait for the projector to warm up.
- Press the MENU button to display the Menu options.
- Scroll down to select RESET menu. Press enter.
- Scroll down and choose RESET LAMP HOURS option
- Press ENTER.
- The reset lamp hour message will show up.
- Select YES
- Press ENTER.
- Lamp hours will be set to zero.
Extending the Epson ELPLP30 lamp life
Get more hours from your Epson ELPLP30 lamp by following these maintenance tips:
- To avoid overhearing the projector and causing the lamp to explode, keep the air filters clean.
- Let the Epson PowerLite 821p rest for at least one hour per day.
- Using it only our to five hours per day will give the lamp a longer life.
- Set brightness to low and get another 1000
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted. Overheating can cause lamp failure.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.