When the on screen image becomes dim with poor picture quality you need to replace your projector lamp. Our guide can help.
When the BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp is approaching end of life, the Lamp Indicator Light on the BenQ MP624 projector will light red. Sequential messages warning about the BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001reaching end of life will also begin appearing.
Step 1: Warning Messages to replace projector lamp
Warning 1: The BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp has been in operation for 3000 hours. Install a new BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 lamp for optimal performance as soon as possible. If you have set the projector to run in Economic Mode, you can operate the projector with the current BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 lamp until the 3950 hour lamp warning screen appear.
Warning 2: The BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp has been in operation for 3950 hours and is approaching end of life. A new BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 lamp should be fitted immediately. Scroll down for how-to instructions on replacing the BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 lamp.
Warning 3: The BenQ 5J.Y1E05.0011 projector lamp has been in operation for 4000 hours and is approaching the end of its life. Replace the BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp immediately if you notice the brightness level have diminished even before reaching hour 4000. When you see this screen warning you must replace the BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp immediately.
Final Warning: Time is up! The BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp is no longer functioning and must be replaced immediately in order for the BenQ MP624 projector to operate normally.
Step 2: Buy authentic BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamps
The Internet has been flooded with companies selling projector lamps. Many advertised their lamps as “generic and compatible” — a euphemism for a knock-off, copycat technology that produces an inferior and dangerous product. Don’t believe the cheap prices you see as there are hidden costs to installing generic lamps.
You get what you pay for and in the case of generic projector lamps it’s usually a long list of problems. Generic lamps look like a great bargain but these knock-off lamps are created with inferior materials making them susceptible to explosions when installed and they can damage the sensitive components in your BenQ MP624 projector. They’ve been created using toxic substances such as Krypton-85 (which is carcinogenic to humans). “Compatible” lamps also have a shorter life span so can actually cost more money in the long run.
Buying authentic guarantees a projector lamp created with genuine, non-hazardous materials by the original manufacturer. These lamps come with money-back guarantee and keeps your warranty entact. It’s worth the few extra dollars to eliminate potential problems and have a lamp built to work properly with your BenQ MP624 sensitive mechanisms. Learn more about spotting dangerous projector lamps by reading our article: 7 tips for spotting counterfeits.
Buy an authentic BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp and save yourself unnecessary headaches.
Step 3: Install a new BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp
Before changing the BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 lamp:
- Reduce the risk of electrical shock by disconnecting the power cord on the MP624 projector.
- Reduce the risk of severe burns by allowing the projector to cool for at least 45 minutes.
- The lamp cover is found on the top of the projector. Using a screwdriver, loosen the screw holding the BenQ MP624 lamp cover in place.
- Remove the lamp cover and place it to one side.
- Be careful not to touch the inside of the BenQ MP624 projector where there is a sharp edge that can cut your fingers.
- Loosen the screw on the BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp.
- Click the wire handle up and use it to pull BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp out of the projector. Pulling too quickly can cause the bulb to shatter. Learn what to do should the bulb shatter.
- Lower the new BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp first into the connector on the BenQ MP624 projector and then align the two holes on the projector.
- Tighten the screw on the BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp.
NOTE: The BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
- Re-install the BenQ MP624 lamp cover and tighten the screw.
- Reset the total lamp operation timer.
Reset the projector lamp timer
It’s important to only reset the lamp timer when the BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp has been replaced. Resetting the lamp timer without changing the BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 lamp can severely damage your BenQ MP624 projector.
- Go to the Startup Logo and open the On-Screen Display menu (OSD).
- Go to SYSTEM SETUP. Scroll down to ADVANCED. Press Enter.
- The LAMP SETTINGS page will displays the Reset Lamp Timer screen
- Highlight Reset and press ENTER.
- The lamp time will be reset to ‘0’.
Do not reset if the projector lamp is not new or replaced as this could cause damage.
Extending the life of the BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 projector lamp:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Use the Lamp Power option on the BenQ MP624 and set to Economic Mode to reduce the amount of power used but extend lamp life.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life
An eco-friendly option
If you’re interested in saving some money and recycling, then try replacing just the BenQ 5J.Y1E05.001 bare bulb and re-using the plastic lamp cage. We have put together a step-by-step training video showing you just how easier it is to do.