Follow our 3-step guide when it’s time to replace the BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp in the BenQ MP515 projector.
Step 1: Know when to replace
You can expect up to 3000 hours from the BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp. Don’t leave replacing the projector lamp to the last minutes or you may have a projector that will not turn on.
To see projector lamp hour information:
- Press Menu/Exit and then press the arrow key to highlight the SYSTEM SETUP: Advanced menu.
- Scroll to Lamp Settings and press Mode/Enter. The Lamp Settings page is displayed showing the Equivalent Lamp Hour information appearing on the menu.
- You can also get the lamp hour information on the INFORMATION menu.
First Warning: The BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp has been in operation equivalent to 2500 hours. Install a new BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 lamp for optimal performance. If you are using Econo Mode the lamp life will be extended to 2950.
Second Warning: The BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp has been in operation equivalent to 2950 hours. A new BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 lamp should be installed.
Third Warning: The BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp has been in operation equivalent to 3000 hours. You may notice the brightness of the lamp diminishing significantly. It should be replaced immediately.
Final Warning: The BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp has reached end of life and the projector will not turn on until it’s been replaced. Replace the BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 lamps immediately.
Step 2: Finding the correct lamp
It can be confusing finding the correct BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 lamp for your BenQ MP515 projector. There are hundreds of website selling projector lamps but most of there lamps are knock-off generic lamps that you should avoid at all costs.
Generic “compatible” lamps may appear to be a bargain–however generic knock-off lamps are actually not that great a bargain.These are NOT authentic lamps and should be avoided for the following reasons:
- shorter lamp life than original lamps
- toxic materials and carcinogenic parts including Krypton-85
- prone to explosions
- incompatibility causing damage to the sensitive electronics in your projectors
- no guarantee or refunds – you’re on your own to get a refund from the company when you buy from a reseller
The few dollars you save with generic “compatible” lamps is not worth it in the long run. Save yourself unnecessary headaches — buy a BenQ 5J.05Q01.001 projector lamp from a recognized dealer. You’ll be getting a far superior product with a replacement guarantee and tech support.
Step 3: Replacing the BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp
Before changing the projector lamp:
- Reduce the risk of electrical shock by disconnecting the power cord on the BenQ MP515 projector.
- Reduce the risk of severe burns by allowing the projector to cool for at least 45 minutes.
To replace the BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 lamp:
1. Protect the BenQ MP515 projector’s top surface by placing it face down on a soft surface. Turn the projector over and loosen the screws on the lamp cover.
2. Remove the projector lamp cover. Be careful not to insert your fingers between the BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp and the projector as there are sharp edges that can cause injuries.
3. Loosen the screw holding the BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp in place. A magnetic-head screwdriver will make it easier to remove the screw.
4. Pull out the projector lamp connector from a slot in the lamp compartment. Disconnect it from the projector.
5. Using the wire handle, slowly pull the BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp out of the projector. Never force the lamp out; pulling too quickly can cause the bulb to shatter. Learn what to do should the bulb shatter.
6. Reconnect the projector lamp connector. Put the BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 lamp back into its slot so that it is flush with the projector.
7. Tighten the screw that secures the BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp. A loose screw may cause a bad connection while a over tightened screw may cause the lamp to not work. Ensure the wire handle is fully flat and locked in place.
8. Replace the lamp cover on the projector.
9. Tighten the screws that secure the lamp cover and restart the projector to reset the lamp timer.
NOTE: The BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
Resetting the lamp timer
It’s important to set the lamp timer so the BenQ MP515 can accurately track the life of the newly installed BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp.
- After the start-up logo, press Menu/Exit
- Scroll down to SYSTEM SETUP. Press Enter.
- Scroll down to the Advanced menu.
- Press to highlight Lamp Settings.
- Press Mode/Enter to display the Lamp Settings page.
- A warning message is displayed asking if you want to reset the lamp timer. Highlight Reset and press Mode/Enter.
- The lamp time will be reset to “0”.
Do not reset if the lamp is not new or replaced as this could cause damage.
Extend the life of the BenQ 5J.J0A05.001 projector lamp:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Setting Lamp Power to Economic Mode. To set the Econo Mode: Go into the SYSTEM SETUP: Advanced > Lamp Settings > Lamp Mode.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.
If you’re interested in saving some money and recycling why not think about replacing just the bulb instead of the entire lamp unit? By only replacing the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 bulb and re-using the actual lamp cage, you’ll have a greener and less expensive solution. It’s not as hard as it sounds and we created a video tutorial to show you how.