Install a new Epson PowerLite 1700c projector lamp
Don’t call a technician to replace the Epson PowerLite 1700c projector lamp. Save your cash and follow our guide!
The life span of the Epson ELPLP38 is 2000 hours when Brightness Control is set to High (which is the default) or 3000 hours if the Brightness Control is set to Low. Track the life of the lamp in the Epson PowerLite 1700c.
End of life signs
When the Epson ELPLP38 is approaching end of life you’ll start to see warnings signs:
- A image that is gradually dimming or deteriorating.
- Colour that appears darker than normal or off colour.
- “Replace the lamp” warning flashing on screen.
- Lamp light flashing a steady orange.
Replace the Epson ELPLP38 lamp immediately so you don’t run the risk of having the lamp explode in the Epson PowerLite 1700c projector.
Go with authentic
Generic lamps can seem like a bargain but they simply can’t offer the quality and reliability that an authentic Epson ELPLP38 offers.
Generic lamps suffer from inferior workmanship which translates to an inferior product, that doesn’t last the full 2000 hours. These lamps can’t be calibrated properly and so can seriously damage the optics in your Epson PowerLite 1700c. But the main reason to avoid generic lamps are the health hazard they pose due to their toxic materials.
Keep the warranty valid on your Epson PowerLite 1700c. Buy an authentic lamp from a recognized dealer who proudly displays the seal of approval. Learn how to avoid generics posing as authentic lamps.
Buy this lamp on Amazon from the following authorized dealers:
- EPSON ELPLP38 replacement lamp for powerlite 1700c 1705c 1710c 1715c – NEW – Retail – V13H010L38
- EPSON EMP-1705 Replacement Projector Lamp ELPLP38 / V13H010L38
Replacing the Epson ELPLP38 lamp
Before installation follow these important safety tips:
- Turn power button off and after the Epson PowerLite 1700c has beeped twice unplug the power cord.
- The Epson PowerLite 1700c should be cool to the touch.
- DO NOT attempt to change the Epson ELPLP38 if the projector is still hot. You get badly burned if you don’t wait for the projector to cool.
IMPORTANT: Do not operate the projector when the lamp is removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
- Loosen the screw on the Epson PowerLite 1700c projector cover using the screwdriver provided.
- Slide the lamp cover to the side and lift it off the Epson PowerLite 1700c projector.
Loosen the two screws holding the Epson ELPLP38 lamp in place. Theses screws don’t come out all the way.
- Grab the two tabs on either side of the the Epson ELPLP38 lamp and slowly pull out the lamp out of the Epson PowerLite 1700c projector.
- Don’t use excessive force or the lamp could break.
- Read this article about what to do if lamp breaks inside the projector.
- NOTE: The Epson ELPLP38 should not be thrown into the regular garden and needs to be properly recycled.
- Gently insert the new Epson ELPLP38 lamp into the Epson PowerLite 1700c projector.
- Avoid touching the actual lamp since your fingerprints will cause black out spots to appear when the projector starts working.
- Tighten the screws on the Epson ELPLP38 lamp. Be sure not to tighten too much or the lamp may not work.
- Replace the lamp cover and tighten the screw on the Epson ELPLP38 projector lamp cover.
- You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the Epson PowerLite 1700c Lamp Timer
It’s important to reset the PowerLite 1700c has a lamp timer each time a new lamp is installed so the projector can accurately track the Epson ELPLP38 lamp. Never use the Epson ELPLP38 lamp beyond its recommended usage as this can damage the Epson 1700c projector beyond repair.
- Press MENU.
- Scroll down to RESET. Press ENTER.
- Scroll down RESET LAMP HOURS. Press ENTER.
- A second prompt screen will appear. Select YES at the prompt screen. Press ENTER.
- Press ESC or MENU to exit.
Extending the life of your Epson ELPLP38 lamp
Follow this simple tips to make your Epson ELPLP38 lamp last even longer:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson PowerLite 1700c projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours.
- An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Set the Brightness Mode to low.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life