Here’s how to replace Epson EMP-835 projector lamp in 3 easy steps.
Start off by investing in an authentic Epson EMP-835 projector lamp.
Step 1: Buying the right lamp
With their bargain prices and easy availability, counterfeit lamps can be a real temptation. But they will end up costing you more due to their inferior workmanship.
So-called “compatible” lamps can’t be calibrated properly, these knock-off lamps can seriously damage the optics in your Epson EMP-835. They actually have a much shorter lamp life.
Even more disturbing is the health hazard they pose. Copy cat manufacturers don’t have the resources to buy the proper materials so they resort to using substitutes such as the carcinogenic Krypton-85, a chemical linked to cancer.
Avoid all these problems PLUS keep the warranty on your Epson EMP-835 projector valid. Look for the seal of approval and buy authentic. Learn the 7 Ways to Spot a Counterfeit Lamp.
Step 2: When to replace
The Brightness Control setting determine the Epson EMP-835 projector lamp life. A high brightness setting will give you up to 2000 hours while a low brightness will give you 3000 hours. Look for the number of hours used on the INFO menu. Watch for any of the warning signs that the indicate the Epson ELPLP31 lamp is reaching end of life:
- Dark image.
- Image that has deteriorated.
- Color in image that appears off.
- “Replace the lamp” warning flashing on screen.
- Lamp light flashing a steady orange.
NOTE: If the Lamp light turns red the Epson ELPLP31 lamp is burnt out and should be replaced immediately.
Step 3: Install the Epson ELPLP31
Before installation follow these important safety tips:
- Turn power button off wait for light to stop flashing.
- Unplug the power cord on the Epson EMP-835.
- Allow the Epson EMP-835 projector to cool for one hour – it should be cool to the touch. These projectors run a high temperatures so you can burn yourself very badly if the projector has not cooled enough before being opened up.
- Do not operate the projectors while any of the lamps are removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
- The lamp cover is found on top of the Epson Epson EMP-835 projector.
- Loosen the lamp cover screw — you can’t remove it only loosen it.
- Slide the Epson EMP-835 projector lamp cover off.
- Loosen the two screws holding the Epson ELPLP31 lamp in place.
- Grab the Epson ELPLP31 by the side indents and gently pull the lamp out. Take care not to bang the bulb as this may cause it to shatter.
- Learn what to do should when the lamp breaks inside the projector.
- Gently insert the new Epson ELPLP31 lamp into the Epson EMP-835 projector.
- Tighten the screws on the Epson ELPLP31 lamp. Be sure not to tighten too much or the lamp may not work.
- Replace the lamp cover and tighten the screw on the Epson ELPLP31 projector lamp cover.
NOTE: The Epson ELPLP31 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps!
You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the Epson EMP-835 Lamp Timer
The Epson EMP-835 has a lamp timer that tracks the number of hours left for the Epson ELPLP31. Every time you install a new Epson ELPLP31 lamp you must reset the lamp timer to zero. Don’t use the Epson ELPLP31 lamp beyond its recommended usage as this can damages the Epson EMP-835 projector.
- Press the MENU button on either the remote control or on the projector’s control panel.
- Scroll down to the RESET option.
- Press Enter
- Select LAMP-HOURS RESET.
- Press ENTER to open the prompt screen
- Press Yes.
- Lamp hours will be reset to zero.
- Press MENU to return to the screen.
Make the Epson ELPLP31 lamp last longer
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP31 with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson EMP-835 projector projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours.
- An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Set the Brightness Mode to low.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life