Wondering when to replace Epson PowerLite 7900p projector lamp? Follow our guide to learn more and replace the lamp in 3 easy steps.
Your Epson PowerLite 7900p uses the Epson ELPLP22 lamp. Be sure to buy an authentic Epson ELPLP22 lamp from a recognized dealer.
You can expect between 2000 to 3000 hours of Epson PowerLite 7900p projector lamp life before you must install a replacement.
Replacement warning signs
When the brightness control is set to high the Epson PowerLite 7900p projector lamp typically lasts to 2000 hours. When the brightness control is set to low, the lamp will last up to 3000 hours. When the Epson PowerLite 7900p projector lampis reaching end of life look for the following warning signs:
- The images gets darker or starts to deteriorates.
- Colours on screen look off.
- LAMP REPLACE appears on screen.
- The warning light begins flashing orange followed by a steady red light. When the lamp light is flashing RED the lamp is burnt out and must be replaced.
Why buy authentic?
Look for the seal of approval when you are buying your Epson PowerLite 7900p projector lamp and avoid generic lamps. While generic have a lower pricetag, there are plenty of downsides to these generic lamps:
- prone to explosions because of their inferior workmanship
- don’t last the full 2000 hours
- health hazard due to the toxic materials used
- not calibrated properly and will damage the optics
- copycat manufacturers offer no guarantee or refunds
- the warranty on your Epson Powerlite 7900p projector will become void.
Don’t be fooled by the generic manufacturers: Learn the 7 Ways to Spot a Counterfeit Lamp.
Replacing the Epson ELPLP22 lamp
- Follow these important steps before installing a new Epson ELPLP22 lamp in the Epson PowerLite 7900p projector:
- Turn off the projector power.
- When the power light stops flashing unplug the power cord.
- Wait at least 60 minutesfor the Epson PowerLite 7900p projector to cool internally before opening it up. It should be cool to the touch. These projectors operate under extremely high temperatures so be patient and wait until the projector is cool or you run the risk of burning yourself.
NOTE: Do not operate the projectors while the lamp is removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
You are now ready to install a new Epson ELPLP22 lamp:
The Epson ELPLP22 lamp comes with a replacement air filter so you should change the filter at the same time. To change filters: turn the projector over and remove the air filters at the side and bottom of the projector. Replace the new filters — they should pop into place smoothly.
Insert the screwdriver supplied with the new Epson ELPLP22 lamp or use a flat-tipped screwdriver. Place the tip of the screwdriver into the space beside the air vent on the Epson PowerLite 7900p projector and gently slide the lamp cover to align the arrow on the cover with the arrow on the projector.
Loosen the two screw holding the Epson ELPLP22 lamp in place (they will not come all the way out). NOTE: The Epson ELPLP22 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps!
Lift up the wire handle on the Epson ELPLP22 lamp and use it to pull the lamp straight out of the projector. Gently insert the new Epson ELPLP22 lamp. Tighten the screws and replace the lamp cover. NOTE: The projector will not turn on if the lamp cover is loose.
You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the Epson PowerLite 7900p lamp timer
The lamp timer will track the life of the Epson ELPLP22 lamp and trigger the lamp warning messages. Therefore, it’s critical to reset the lamp timer whenever you replace the lamp in the Epson PowerLite 7900p projector. Do not re-set the Epson ELPLP22 lamp timer with an already used lamp as this may cause it to be used beyond its designated lamp life and cause an explosion.
- Plug the projector in and turn it on.
- Press the MENU button on the remote or on the projector’s control panel to display the Main menu,
- Use the pointer buttons on the remote or the arrow buttons on the Epson PowerLite 7900p to scroll down to the ABOUT menu. Press ENTER to display the ABOUT screen information.
- Scroll down to RESET LAMP TIMER option.
- Press ENTER to open the second prompt screen.
- The lamp hours will be reset to zero.
- NOTE: Lamp usage appears as 0H until you’ve used at least 10 hours of lamp life
- Press ESC or MENU to exit this screen.
How to extend the life of the Epson ELPLP22 lamp:
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP22 with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson PowerLite 7900p projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours. An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Set the Brightness Mode to low or Econo Mode to extend lamp life.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.