You can expect up to 3000 hours of lamp life before the BenQ PB8140 projector lamp needs to be replace.
You’ll start to notice warning signs as the lamp starts to reach end of life.
Your first warning to replace the BenQ PB8140 projector lamp will show up when the lamp has been in operation for 1980 hours. If the projector is being run in Economic Mode you may continue until the second warning at 2980 hours at which time a second warning will appear.
The second warning will let you know that the power will shutdown in 20 hours time. Replace the BenQ PB8140 projector lamp immediately.
The final warning will flash in the center of the BenQ PB8140 screen at 3000 hours and the Lamp Indicator will light up red for 40 seconds before the BenQ PB8140 projector shuts down. The projector will not turn on until the lamp has been replaced.
Authentic lamps are important
Your BenQ PB8140 projector is a sophisticated machine with sensitive electronic components. The BenQ 65.J4002.001 projector lamp has been designed specifically to keep your projector operating at optimum levels. Generic “compatible” lamps are made with copycat technology that use inferior and often toxic materials.
Knock-off manufacturers don’t possess the proper technology to create these lamps and as a result these lamps have a shorter lamp life, are prone to explosions and can seriously damage your projector. Installing them cancels your warranty leaving your vulnerable should anything go wrong. It’s not worth the small savings. Protect yourself from buying a knock-off counterfeit compatible generic lamp.
You’ll need the BenQ 65.J4002.001 lamp model.
How to replace the BenQ PB8140 projector lamp
Before changing the lamp:
- Reduce the risk of electrical shock by disconnecting the power cord on the BenQ PB8140 projector.
- Reduce the risk of severe burns by allowing the projector to cool for at least 45 minutes.
- Turn the power off and disconnect the BenQ PB8140 projector.
- The lamp cover is found on the bottom of the projector. Turn the projector over and loosen the two screws holding the BenQ PB8140 lamp cover in place. (Use a magnetic screwdriver to make the whole process easier.)
- Loosen the screw on the BenQ 65.J4002.001 lamp.
- Grab the wire handle on the BenQ 65.J4002.001 lamp so it lifts up. Slowly and gently pull the BenQ 65.J4002.001 lamp out of the projector. Pulling too quickly can cause the bulb to shatter. Learn what to do should the bulb shatter.
- Avoid touching the optical components inside the projector as this can leave marks on the lenses causing image distortion and unwanted color changes.
- Insert the new BenQ 65.J4002.001 lamp making sure the handle is fully locked. Tighten the screw. If the screw is too loose or too tight, the projector may not turn on.
- Re-install the BenQ PB8140 lamp cover and tighten the screw.
- Reset the total lamp operation timer.
Reset the lamp counter
It’s important to only reset the lamp timer when the BenQ 65.J4002.001 lamp has been replaced. Resetting the lamp timer without changing the BenQ 59.J8101.CG1 lamp can cause significant harm to your BenQ PB8140 projector.
- Press and hold EXIT button on the projector for 3 seconds to display the total used lamp time.
- Press MENU on either the projector or on the remote control. Scroll down to the LAMP HOUR TIMER. An adjustment message will appear.
- Press MENU to reset the lamp hours.
- Press EXIT.
Make your newly installed BenQ 65.J4002.001 lamp life last longer with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Use the Lamp Power option on the BenQ PB8140 and set to Economic Mode to reduce the amount of power used but extend lamp life.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life