Follow this quick-step guide to an easy installation of an Epson ELPLP15 projector lamp.
Why avoid generics
When you see the seal of approval you’ll know you are buying from an authentic manufacturer. There are plenty of cheap projector lamps for sale. In fact, some of the more popular retail sites sell project lamps with major discounts. These counterfeit lamps are advertised as compatible with your Epson PowerLite 811P when it fact they can damage the sensitive components and are prone to explosions.
Other problems with “generic, compatible” projector lamps include a have shorter lamp life while exposing you to toxic materials used to create the lamps. Protect yourself from and use authentic lamps. Don’t be tricked into buying a counterfeit projector lamp. Learn 7 Ways to spot counterfeits.
There are approximately 1500 hours in the typical Epson ELPLP15 projector lamp. Watch for the warning signs that indicate the Epson Powerlite 811P projector needs a new lamp:
- Image begins to dim or actually deteriorate. Colours appear distorted.
- “Replace the Lamp” warning message appears on screen
- Lamp light lights red or starts flashing red
Check the amount of lamp life left from the About menu found on the Main Menu.
Installing the new Epson ELPLP15 projector lamp
Before opening the Epson PowerLite 811P projector and installing the new Epson ELPLP15 projector lamp, do these preparatory steps:
- Turn off the projector and wait until the power lights stops flashing.
- Unplug the power cord so the projector can’t be accidentally turned of while the lamp is being replaced.
- Wait for at least one hour for the Epson PowerLite 811P to cool down. It should be cool to the touch. This is crucial. These projectors operate under high heat and you can get burned very badly if the projector is still hot.
Take the screwdriver that came with the Epson PowerLite 811P and use it to pop open the lamp cover. Put the lamp cover to one side.
Once the lid is removed, use the same screwdriver to loosen the screws holding the Epson ELPLP15 in place. NOTE: The screws will not come all the way out.
Grab the top ridges along the Epson ELPLP15 projector lamp and gently pull up. Using too much force can break the bulb. Learn how to clean up after a bulb breaks.
Put the old projector lamp aside for proper recycling. These lamps can’t be thrown into the garbage as they contain mercury. Contact your OEM manufacturer for recycling instructions.
Hold the lamp so it faces the correct way and insert the Epson ELPLP15 projector lamp until it clicks into place. Tighten the screws. Line up the hinges on the cover and snap back into place.
You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the Epson PowerLite 811P lamp timer
After replacing the Epson ELPLP15 projector lamp you’ll need to reset the lamp timer in order for the Epson PowerLite 811P to properly track the lamp life. Only reset the Epson PowerLite 811P lamp timer when a new Epson ELPLP15 projector lamp has been installed or you run the risk of the lamp being used beyond its recommended lamp life and damaging your projector.
To reset the lamp:
- Press the MENU button on either projector’s control panel or on the remote control to display the MAIN MENU.
- Scroll down to the ABOUT menu. Press the ENTER.
- Scroll down to the Reset Lamp Timer option.
- The reset dialogue box will appear asking you to Execute? Press Yes.
- The lamp hours will be reset to zero.
- No lamp hours will appear until you have used the Epson ELPLP15 for at least 10 hours.
Tips for longer projector lamp life:
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP15 projector lamp with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson PowerLite 811P projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours. An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.