You can replace the Optoma DS216 projector lamp by following our 4-step guide. Installation takes about 2o minutes.
Step 1: Be ready with the right type of projector lamp
You will want to be prepared and have your Optoma DS216 projector lamp purchased ahead of time. Otherwise, you may be caught off guard with a broken projector lamp and projector that isn’t working. Be sure to purchase an authentic, OES lamp for your Optoma DS216 projector.
Why avoid generics:
- shorter lamp life than original lamps
- created with toxic materials and carcinogenic parts including Krypton-85
- prone to explosions
- can damage the sensitive electronics in your projectors
- when you buy copy-cat lamps you get no guarantee or refunds
- installing a generic lamp voids your projector’s warranty.
They are simply not worth the hassles for the few dollars you save. Protect your projector and invest in authentic projector lamps. Learn How to spot a counterfeit.
Find this lamp sold on Amazon by these authorized dealers:
- Optoma BL-FU185A, UHP, 185W Projector Lamp Optoma BL-FU185A Projector lamp – UHP – 185 Watt – for Optoma DS316, ES526, EW536, EX536, Pro350, TS526, TW536, TX536, Home Theater Series HD66
- BL-FU185A Optoma Projector Lamp Replacement. Projector Lamp Assembly with Genuine Original Philips UHP Bulb Inside.
- Optoma BL-FU185A Replacement Lamp for TS526/PRO150S/DS316/TX536/PRO250X/DX619 Projectors
- Optoma 00185 – BL-FU185A Projector Light Bulb
Step 2: When to replace the projector lamp?
Your Optoma DS216 projector uses the Optoma BL-FU185A projector lamp. When the projector lamp is approaching end of life, you will see the Lamp-LED light flashing red and the lamp warning message will start flashing on screen. Other indications include faded colors and poor resolution. Don’t wait to change the lamp when you get these warnings. If you do try to extend the hours beyond the recommended hours, the lamp may explode inside the projector. Learn what to do if the projector lamp has exploded inside the projector.
Step 3: Installing the Optoma BL-FU185A projector lamp
Before replacing the Optoma BL-FU185A projector lamp follow these important safety tips:
- Switch off the power to the Optoma DS216 projector by pressing the Power/Standby button.
- Disconnect the power cord.
- Allow the projector to cool down for at least 30 minutes. If should be cool to the touch. These projectors run using high temperatures and you can burn yourself badly if you don’t allow the projector to cool down.
1. Use a screwdriver to undo the two screws holding the projector lamp cover in place. The screws on the projector lamp cover and the lamp cannot be removed.
2. Remove the lid and place to one side. Don’t lose the lid as the Optoma DS216 projector will not turn back on until the lamp cover has been properly installed.
3. Remove the two screws holding the Optoma BL-FU185A projector lamp in place. Note: The used Optoma BL-FU185A projector lamp contains mercury and should be properly recycled. Don’t throw it into regular garbage
4. Lift up the wire handle on the Optoma BL-FU185A projector lamp and slowly remove it from the projector.
Be careful not to bang the projector lamp against the projector as this may case the bulb to break. Learn how to clean up a broken projector lamp.
5. Remove the new Optoma BL-FU185A projector lamp from its packaging. Taking care not to touch the actual bulb, lift up the handle on the new lamp and insert it gently into the Optoma DS216 projector.
6. Tighten the two screws on the projector lamp.
7. Replace the projector lamp cover and tighten its two screws. You are now ready to reset the Lamp Replacement Timer.
Reset the Projector Lamp Replacement Timer
The Optoma DS216 projector has an automatic lamp timer that tracks the numbers of hours left in the projector lamp. If you don’t reset the projector lamp replacement timer you run the risk of the lamp being used beyond its recommended life and possibly exploding in the projector.
To reset the Lamp Replacement Timer:
- Turn on the projector.
- Using the remote press MENU
- Select OPTIONS
- Select LAMP SETTINGS
- Select LAMP RESET
- Select YES.
- Press MENU to exit.
Tips for extending Optoma BL-FU185A projector lamp life:
- Chose the “STD” mode to to dim the projector lamp and lower power consumption. This will extend the lamp life by up to 130%.
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Every 24 hours, turn off the projector and let it stand for 1 hour
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the Optoma DS216 projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.
Green your Optoma DS216 projector
The Optoma DS216 projector has the option of re-using the existing lamp cage and replacing only the actual bulb. A great way to reduce and recycle. Watch our Optoma BL-FU185A training video to learn more.