Follow our handy step-by-step guide for a hassle free installation of your replacement Epson EMP-800 projector lamp.
Step 1: Knowing when to replace
The Epson EMP-800 projector lamp has an expected life of 1400 hours but this may vary depending how much the projector is used. Your Epson EMP-800 projector needs the Epson ELPLP15 replacement lamp model.
Watch for the warning signs:
- The lamp indicator on the projector flashes orange or lights up red.
- The message “Lamp Replace” appears on the screen for 30 seconds when the projection starts.
- The user’s logo is replaced by the lamp replacement message appears instead.
- The colour starts to deteriorate or the image gets dark and dim.
Step 2: Be ready with the correct lamp
Your Epson EMP-800 is a sophisticated machine with highly sensitive optics. You’ll want to install only genuine Epson ELPLP15 lamps in order to keep your Epson EMP-800 projector working at its optimal level. OEM Epson ELPLP15 have been manufactured to meet the needs of the Epson EMP-800 projector.
Why avoid generic lamps?
Knock-off lamps may seem like a bargain due to their low prices but these counterfeit lamps present more problems than solutions. In the long run they end up costing you more. Read about their problems and the decide if they are worth the savings or not:
- generic lamps are prone to explosions because of their inferior workmanship
- generic lamps won’t last the full 1400 hours
- they are a health hazard because they have been created with toxic materials
- generic lamps are not calibrated properly and will damage the optics
- copycat manufacturers offer no guarantee or refunds
- the warranty on your Epson EMP-800 projector will become void.
Learn how to spot the copycat fake lamps with 7 Ways to Spot a Counterfeit Lamp.
Step 3: Installing a new Epson ELPLP15 lamp
- Turn off the projector power and wait for the cool-down period which is about two minutes. Disconnect the power cord after the two minutes is over.
- The Epson EMP-800 operates using high temperatures. Don’t get burned! Wait at least 30 minutes to one hour for projector to cool internally before opening it up. When it’s cool to the touch it’s safe to change the lamp.
- Do not operate the projectors while the lamp is removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
Use the screwdriver provided and place it into the slot to lift up the Epson EMP-800 lamp cover. Slide the raised section of the cover up and slide it forward to take it off its hinges.
Loosen the two screw holding the Epson ELPLP15 lamp in place.
Grab the two indents on the other sides of the lamp and pull from the projector. Take care not knock the actual bulb as it may break. Learn what to do should the bulb shatter.
NOTE: The Epson ELPLP15 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps!
Hold the lamp so it faces the correct way and insert the Epson ELPLP15 lamp until it clicks into place. Tighten the screws.
Insert the cover tabs into the Epson EMP-800 projector, making sure they line up properly with the tabs. Press the other side of the cover down until it clicks into place.
Be sure the lamp cover is on properly or the projector will not turn on. You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the Epson EMP-800 lamp timer
After installing a new Epson ELPLP15 lamp, the lamp timer will need to be reset in order for the Epson EMP-800 to properly track the lamp life. You run the risk of damaging your projector should the lamp be used beyond the recommended 1900 hours, so only reset the lamp hours when a new lamp has been installed.
- Press the MENU button on either projector’s control panel or on the remote control.
- The MAIN MENU will be shown.
- Using the arrow keys scroll to Reset Lamp Timer from the ABOUT menu.
- Press the ENTER key.
A second prompt screen will be displayed.
Select YES to EXECUTE.
Press the ENTER button.
The lamp hours will be rest to zero.
Extend the life of the Epson ELPLP15 lamp:
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP15 with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson EMP-800 and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours. An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Set the Brightness Mode to low or Econo Mode to extend lamp life.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.