Follow our 3-step guide to a new BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp for your BenQ MP622 / MP622c projector.
Step 1: Know when to replace
When the BenQ MP622/MP622c projector is in operation, the number of hours of lamp life is automatically calculated by the built-in timer.
When the BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp is approaching end of life the BenQ MP622/MP622c projector Lamp Indicator will start flashing red. Warning messages will also appear on your screen.
First warning: The BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp has been in operation for 3000 hours. Install a new lamp for optimal performance. If projector is running in Economic Mode, you can wait until 3950 hours of lamp usage.
Second warning: The BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp has been in operation for 3950 hours. Replace the lamp as soon as possible. You will begin to notice that brightness has diminished and the picture is not as clear.
Third warning: The BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp has been in operation for 4000 hours and is reaching end of life. Replace the BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp immediately.
Final warning: The BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp has reached end of life and the projector has shut down. The BenQ MP622/MP622c projector will not turn back on until the lamp has been replaced.
Step 2: Buy authentic
The Internet has been flooded with companies selling projector lamps.
Many advertised their lamps as “generic and compatible” — a euphemism for a knock-off, copycat technology that produces an inferior and dangerous product. Don’t believe the cheap prices you see as there are hidden costs to installing generic lamps.
You get what you pay for and in the case of generic lamps it’s usually a long list of problems. Generic lamps look like a great bargain but these knock-off lamps are created with inferior materials making them susceptible to explosions when installed and they can damage the sensitive components in your BenQ MP622/MP622c projector. They’ve been created using toxic substances such as Krypton-85 (which is carcinogenic to humans). “Compatible” lamps also have a shorter life span so can actually cost more money in the long run.
Buying authentic guarantees a projector lamp created with genuine, non-hazardous materials by the original manufacturer. These lamps come with money-back guarantee and keeps your warranty entact. It’s worth the few extra dollars to eliminate potential problems and have a lamp built to work properly with your BenQ MP622/MP622c sensitive mechanisms. Learn more about spotting dangerous projector lamps by reading our article: 7 tips for spotting counterfeits.
Buy an authentic BenQ 5J.06001.001 projector lamp for your BenQ MP622/MP622c projector. Save yourself unnecessary headaches. You’ll be getting a far superior product with a replacement guarantee and tech support.
Step 3: Install the new BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp
Before changing the BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp:
- Reduce the risk of electrical shock by disconnecting the power cord on the MP622/MP622c projector.
- Reduce the risk of severe burns by allowing the projector to cool for at least 45 minutes.
- The lamp cover is found on the top of the projector. Using a coin, loosen the screw holding the BenQ MP622/MP622c lamp cover in place.
- Remove the lamp cover and place it to one side.
- Be careful not to touch the inside of the projector where there is a sharp edge that can cut your fingers.
- Loosen the screw on the BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp.
- Click the wire handle up and use it to pull the BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp out of the projector. Pulling too quickly can cause the bulb to shatter. Learn what to do should the bulb shatter.
- Lower the new BenQ 5J.06001.001 first into the connector on the BenQ MP622/MP622c projector and then align the two holes on the projector.
- Tighten the screw on the lamp.
- Re-install the BenQ MP622/MP622c lamp cover and tighten the screw.
- Reset the total lamp operation timer.
NOTE: The BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
Reset the lamp timer
It’s important to only reset the lamp timer when the BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp has been replaced. Resetting the lamp timer without changing the BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp can severely damage your BenQ MP622/MP622c projector.
- Go to SYSTEM SETUP.
- Scroll down to ADVANCED. Press Enter.
- Scroll down to LAMP SETTINGS menu. Press ENTER.
- The LAMP SETTINGS page displays. Highlight Reset Lamp Timer.
- Warning message displays asking if you want to reset the lamp timer.
- Highlight Reset and press ENTER.
- The lamp time will be reset to ‘0’.
Do not reset if the lamp is not new or replaced as this could cause damage.
Extending the life of the BenQ 5J.06001.001 lamp:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Use the Lamp Power option on the BenQ MP622/MP622c projector and set to Economic Mode to reduce the amount of power used but extend lamp life.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life