Follow our 3-step guide to a new BenQ 5J.00S01.001 projector lamp for your BenQ CP120c projector.
3 steps to a new BenQ CP120c projector lamp
Step 1: Know when to replace the lamp
When the BenQ CP120c projector is in operation, the number of hours of lamp life is automatically calculated by the built-in timer.
The formula used is Total (equivalent) lamp hour = hours used in Economic mode + hours used in normal mode. When your projector is in Econo Mode the formula is calculated as 2/3 of that in normal mode. Using the projector in Economic mode helps to extend the lamp hour by 1/3.
When the BenQ 5J.00S01.001 lamp is approaching end of life the BenQ CP120c projector indicator lights up red as well as warning messages on your screen.
First Warning: The BenQ 5J.00S01.001 lamp has been in operation for 1800 hours. You can continue using the projector until the lamo reaches 1950 hours of usage.
Second Warning: The BenQ 5J.00S01.001 lamp has been in operation for 1950 hours. Replace the lamp as soon as possible.
Third warning: The BenQ 5J.00S01.001 lamp has been in operation for over 2000 hours. You’ll see this message for 30 seconds along with the LAMP indicator lighting up red for 40 seconds. Replace the lamp immediately.
Final warning: You’re out of time! The BenQ 5J.00S01.001 has reached end of life. The projector will shutdown in 40 seconds. The lamp MUST be replaced before the BenQ CP120c projector will turn on again.
Step 2: Buying an authentic lamp
Be sure the purchase an authentic BenQ 5J.00S01.001 projector lamp for your BenQ CP120c projector. Although generic lamps seem like a bargain, you avoid knock-off “compatible” lamps. You get what you pay for and in the case of generic lamps it’s usually a long list of problems:
- shorter lamp life than original lamps
- toxic materials and carcinogenic parts including Krypton-85
- prone to explosions
- incompatibility causing damage to the sensitive electronics in your projectors
- no guarantee or refunds
Save yourself unnecessary headaches and buy authentic from a recognized dealer. You’ll be getting a far superior product with a replacement guarantee and tech support.
Step 3: Install the new BenQ 5J.00S01.001 lamp
Before changing the lamp:
- Reduce the risk of electrical shock by disconnecting the power cord on the BenQ CP120c projector.
- Reduce the risk of severe burns by allowing the projector to cool for at least 45 minutes.
- The lamp cover is found on the bottom of the projector. Turn the projector over onto soft surface to protect the top of the projector. Loosen the two screws holding the BenQ CP120c lamp cover in place. (Use a magnetic screwdriver to make the whole process easier.)
- Remove the lamp cover and place it to one side.
- Loosen the screw on the BenQ 5J.00S01.001 lamp. Be sure not to loose the screw as the projector will not turn on unless the lamp is properly secured into the projector. Using a magnetic-head screwdriver will ensure you don’t accidentally drop the screw into the projector!
- Grab the sides on the BenQ 5J.00S01.001 lamp and gently pull the BenQ 5J.00S01.001 lamp out of the projector. Pulling too quickly can cause the bulb to shatter. Learn what to do should the bulb shatter.
- Insert the new BenQ 5J.00S01.001 lamp making sure the handle is fully locked. Tighten the screw. If the screw is too loose or too tight, the projector may not turn on.
- Re-install the BenQ CP120c lamp cover and tighten the screw.
- Reset the total lamp operation timer.
NOTE: The BenQ 5J.00S01.001 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
It’s important to only reset the lamp timer when the BenQ 5J.00S01.001 lamp has been replaced. Resetting the lamp timer without changing the BenQ 5J.00S01.001 lamp can cause significant harm to your BenQ CP120c projector.
- Press and hold up arrow button on the projector for 3 seconds to display the total used lamp time.
- Press AUTO on either the projector or on the remote control. Scroll down to the LAMP HOUR TIMER. An adjustment message will appear.
- Press AUTO to reset the lamp hours. Press EXIT.
Extending the life of the BenQ 5J.00S01.001 lamp:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Use the Lamp Power option on the BenQ CP120c projector and set to Economic Mode to reduce the amount of power used but extend lamp life.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life