Use our step-by-step guide to install a new Optoma DS305 projector lamp.
Step 1: Buy the right lamp!
Before you replace the Optoma DS305 projector lamp make sure you have bought an authentic lamp. Look for the seal of approval to be sure you are getting an OEM lamp.
Why avoid generic lamps?
Generic lamps have six main problems:
- inferior workmanship which translates to an inferior product,
- they don’t last as long.
- improperly calibrated so can seriously damage the optics in your Optoma DS305
- present a health hazard due to their toxic materials.
- installing a generic lamp will void the warranty on the Optoma DS305
- offer no guarantee, technical or customer service even after the lamp has been purchased.
Buy this lamp on Amazon sold by these authorized dealers:
- Optoma BL-FU180A Projector Assembly with High Quality Original Bulb Inside
- Optoma BL-FU180A, UHP, 180W Projector Lamp (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
- Optoma Replacement Lamp (BL-FU180A) –
Step Two: Know when to replace
- A screen that is gradually dimming or deteriorating.
- Colour in the image appears dark or off colour.
- Lamp light flashing a steady orange.
Replace the lamp immediately. If you leave the lamp too long it may explode inside the projector. Learn how to properly clean up a broken lamp.
Step Three: Replace the Optoma BL-FU180A
Your Optoma DS305 projector lamp needs the Optoma BL-FU180A. Follow these important safety steps before installing a new
- These lamps contains mercury and should be properly recycled. Don’t throw it into regular garbage.
- Switch off the power to the Optoma DS305 projector by pressing the Power/Standby button.
- Disconnect the power cord.
- Allow the projector to cool down for at least 30 minutes. If should be cool to the touch. These projectors run using high temperatures and you can burn yourself badly if you don’t allow the projector to cool down.
Place something soft underneath the Optoma DS305 before turning the projector onto it’s back. Remove the two screws holding the cover in place.
Push the cover up to remove it.
Remove the two screws holding the Optoma BL-FU180A lamp module in place.
Lift up the wire handle and slowly put out the old lamp. Be careful not to bang the lamp against the projector as this may case the bulb to break.
Remove the Optoma BL-FU180A from its packaging and using the wire handle, place it into the Optoma DS305 projector. Tighten the two screws on the lamp. Replace the lamp cover and tighten its two screws.
You must now reset the Lamp Replacement Timer.
Step 4: Reset the lamp timing on the Optoma DS305
In order to track the lamp life, the Optoma DS305 projector has an automatic lamp timer that triggers the lamp replacement warning. You need to reset the timer each time the lamp is replaced.
- Press the Menu option on either the remote or on the projector.
- Scroll over the Lamp Setting. Press Enter.
- Select Reset Lamp Hours. Press Yes
- The lamp hours is reset to zero.
- You can also used this screen to set ECO mode and turn off the lamp reminder message (not recommended to do).
Tips for a longer lamp life:
- Turning on the Eco Mode to lower power consumption and extend the lamp life by 130%.
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Optoma DS305 projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life