Install a new Epson Powerlite 1715c projector lamp
Replacing the Epson Powerlite 1715c projector lamp can be completed in three easy steps.
Step 1: Watch the warning signs
When the Epson ELPLP38 is approaching end of life in the Epson PowerLite 1715c you’ll see the following warning signs:
- lamp light on projector continually flashes orange
- “Replace the lamp” message appears on screen.
- image is gradually dimming or starting to deteriorate.
- Colors appear darker than normal
Prolong the life of the Epson ELPLP38 from 2000 hours to 3000 hours by lowering the Brightness Control to low!
Step 2: Have the correct type of lamp
While there are plenty of cheaper options, you should go with authentic Epson ELPLP38 lamps for a number of reasons. Watch for the seal of approval displayed by authorized dealers so you know you are purchasing an authentic lamp.
Be aware that most lamps advertised as “generic” or “compatible” are usually counterfeit lamps with inferior workmanship and will not last the full 3000 hours. But even worse, because these lamps can’t be calibrated properly, they can damage the sensitive optics in your Epson PowerLite 1715c. Most are also a health hazard because of the toxic materials used.
Installing a non-OEM Epson ELPLP38 voids any warranty on your Epson PowerLite 1715c. Better to avoid generics posing as authentic lamps.
Buy this lamp on Amazon from the following authorized dealers:
- EPSON ELPLP38 replacement lamp for powerlite 1700c 1705c 1710c 1715c – NEW – Retail – V13H010L38
- EPSON EMP-1705 Replacement Projector Lamp ELPLP38 / V13H010L38
Step 3: Replacing the lamp
Before installation follow these important safety tips:
- Turn power button off. Wait for the two beeps that follow and unplug the power cord on the Epson PowerLite 1715c.
- Wait until the projector is cool to the touch.
- DO NOT attempt to change the Epson ELPLP38 if the projector is still hot. You get badly burned if you don’t wait for the projector to cool.
IMPORTANT: Do not operate the projector when the lamp is removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
- Loosen the screw on the Epson PowerLite 1715c projector cover using the screwdriver provided.
- Slide the lamp cover to the side and lift it off the Epson PowerLite 1715c projector.
Loosen the two screws holding the Epson ELPLP38 lamp in place. NOTE: You can only loosen these screws. They don’t come out all the way.
- Grab the two tabs on either side of the the Epson ELPLP38 lamp and slowly pull out the lamp out of the Epson PowerLite 1715c projector.
- Don’t use excessive force or the lamp could break.
- What to do if lamp breaks inside the projector.
- NOTE: The Epson ELPLP38 should not be thrown into the regular garden and needs to be properly recycled.
- Gently insert the new Epson ELPLP38 lamp into the Epson PowerLite 1715c projector.
- Avoid touching the actual lamp since your fingerprints will cause black out spots to appear when the projector starts working.
- Push down the corner marked PUSH until the lamp snaps in.
- Once the Epson ELPLP38 lamp is fully inserted, tighten the screws.
- Slide out the air filters found at the bottom of the projector. Remove the current filter.
- Slide in the new air filter until it clicks into place.
- You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the Epson PowerLite 1715c Lamp Timer
It’s important to reset the PowerLite 1715c has a lamp timer each time a new lamp is installed so the projector can accurately track the Epson ELPLP38 lamp. Never use the Epson ELPLP38 lamp beyond its recommended usage as this can damage the Epson 1715c projector beyond repair.
- Press MENU.
- Scroll down to RESET. Press ENTER.
- Scroll down RESET LAMP HOURS. Press ENTER.
- A second prompt screen will appear. Select YES at the prompt screen. Press ENTER.
- Press ESC or MENU to exit.
Extending the life of your Epson ELPLP38 lamp
Follow this simple tips to make your Epson ELPLP38 lamp last even longer:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector and causing the lamp to overheat.
- Turn off the Epson PowerLite 1715c projector for at least one hour ever 24 hours.
- Don’t overuse the lamp. An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted so it doesn’t overheat.
- Set the Brightness Mode to low.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life